By Etienne Mainimo Mengnjo
The Constitutional Council’s (CC) rejection of Maurice Kamto’s candidacy for the upcoming presidential elections has been met with widespread condemnation from Cameroonians, with many describing the decision as a political manipulation by the ruling regime.

The CC delivered its final judgment on August 5, upholding the earlier rejection by the country’s election body, ELECAM, on July 26. Kamto, a prominent figure from the MANIDEM party, had appealed ELECAM’s decision, which was based on an alleged “plurality of nominations.”
Across the country, and particularly in the capital Yaoundé, citizens voiced their frustration. Many believe the government deliberately blocked Kamto, whom they saw as a potential savior for the nation’s ongoing crises.
“There are no two ways about it; the rejection of Prof. Maurice Kamto was orchestrated by the regime to block him because he was becoming a serious threat,” said a trader who wished to remain anonymous.
A militant from an opposition party echoed this sentiment, stating, “Politics is dangerous in Cameroon. We all know the rejection of Kamto’s candidacy is the work of the regime in power. We should be ashamed that in this day and age, we are still doing this to a candidate who is loved by many, even those in the ruling party.”
However, a militant from the ruling party offered a different perspective. “Mr. journalist, there was no way Kamto could be a candidate in this election. He disqualified himself back in 2020. He was just making noise.”
For many, the disqualification represents a major setback for Cameroon’s democracy. Some described Kamto as the “only and real hope of Cameroon,” with no other candidate matching his stature.
The United National Party for Democracy (UNDP), led by Professor Bello Bouba Maigari—whose candidacy was retained—has also condemned the decision.
“As a political party firmly committed to electoral fairness, the protection of fundamental rights, and the free expression of the people’s will, the UNDP strongly condemns this unjustified exclusion, which undermines the credibility of the ongoing electoral process,” the UNDP said in a press release.
The party’s statement further argued that the ruling, which cited an alleged “plurality of nominations,” raises serious concerns about “the respect for democratic principles, the rule of law, and political pluralism in Cameroon.”
“We regret that the Constitutional Council opted for a strictly formalist interpretation of the law, refusing to consider the substance of the irregularities raised—disregarding documentary evidence, public testimonies, and the fundamental right of every citizen to stand for election,” the UNDP communique stated.
While expressing solidarity with Kamto, “all pro-democracy activists, and with the Cameroonian people who aspire to a free, inclusive, and credible election,” the UNDP called for a “national awakening.”
Following the CC’s pronouncement, the MANIDEM party denounced what it called a “political coup orchestrated by the CPDM,” with the “complicity of the Ministry of Territorial Administration (MINAT), ELECAM, and the Constitutional Council.”
“The party maintains that its objective remains unchanged: to bring down the current regime. Consultations are currently underway, and a clear directive will be issued in the coming days,” the party announced.
ELECAM had previously ruled Kamto’s application invalid on July 26, citing the multiple nominations. Kamto, a prominent opposition figure, had challenged the decision, arguing it was politically motivated.
With the final list still pending publication, it is expected that 12 candidates will run in the presidential election scheduled for October 12.